Welcome to Our Side of the Divide
Delta County is located on Colorado's western slope at the base of Grand Mesa, one of the largest flat top mountains in the world. An agricultural and heritage hotbed, this region is home to the delightfully diverse communities of Cedaredge, Crawford, Delta, Hotchkiss, Orchard City and Paonia. Delta County was created by the Colorado legislature on February 11, 1883. The county was named for the City of Delta, which gets its moniker for its location on the delta of the Uncompahgre River. Delta County's story is one of agriculture pioneers, mining, land, and water development.
How to Get Here
Delta County is located on Colorado's western slope, about 267 miles southwest of Denver. Visitors may fly directly into the area via Montrose Regional Airport (20 miles from the City of Delta) or Grand Junction Regional Airport (40 miles from the City of Delta). Delta County is accessed by Highways 50, 92 and 133. Road Runner Stage Lines also provides service to Delta. Road Runner Stage Lines.
North Fork Valley Airport
The North Fork Valley has an identity that is uniquely its own.Â Bordered by the West Elk mountains on the east, Grand Mesa, the largest flat-top mesa in the world, to the north and canyons and high desert in the southwest section of the county, the valley presents a surprising experience.Â North Fork Valley includes the towns of eastern Delta County:Â Paonia, Hotchkiss and Crawford.
Paonia lies beneath the 11,400’ peaks of Mount Lamborn boasting some of the most fertile ground in the county.Â The stunning beauty and temperate climate have gathered the largest concentration of organic farming in the state of Colorado.Â Cattle ranches, sprawling orchards of cherries, peaches and apples, other fruit farms, vineyards and wineries are scattered about the countryside.
The proximity to Elk Wilderness Area provides a playground for hiking, biking, fishing, horseback riding as well as camping and backpacking. Â At Paonia State Park and its reservoir, you can enjoy a variety of water sports. Back in town, you may tour a winery, visit an artist’s studio, shop for antiques or participate in one of the many summer festivals. Â Even though the town’s population is only 1,600, it features several hotels, and historic lodges and inns. A handful of good restaurants, including the Flying Fork CafÃ©, the Living Farm Cafe and PJ's Family Pub are good examples of local delights. Paonia even sports its own award winning nano brewery, Revolution Brewing. Surprising for a town of this size, Paonia has an independent theatre, a non-profit arts center, the Blue Sage Gallery, and its own public radio station, KVNF.
Hotchkiss is a small community along the West Elk Scenic Byway that originally began as a supply center for the area settlers. Although agriculture and cattle ranching are still mainstays of the local economy, organic farming and animal husbandry are providing fresh perspectives to the area.
Crawford, the gateway to the North Rim of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, is in the heart of cattle country.Â Adventures abound in the area from big game hunting, to superb fishing and hiking in Gunnison National Forest and water activities at Crawford Reservoir. Perhaps the best day trip from Crawford is to the 50-mile long chasm of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison.Â Its sheer, dark rock walls drop more than a half mile to the Gunnison River creating an unforgettably stunning site.
Whether you are seeking relaxation or recreation, the North Fork Valley is worthy of the adventure.
Smiling Aviation, Inc. At Blake Filed
Aircraft Maintenance & Inspection
"Miles behind you flying, enjoy the flight...Smiling"
Call us for a quote on your annual! (970) 874-5181
Â Â Smiling Aviation at Delta Blake Field is the only place to be for General Aviation! With AWOS, self-serve fuel priced right and weather service available, what else could you want? 24 hr restrooms and courtesy cars? We have those too! Need hangar space? Call us at (970) 874-5181 and we will tell you about all the new things available here.
Our airport is really growing--come visit anytime!
At Smiling Aviation, Inc. we look to serve your general aviation maintenance needs as well. We can do Cessna maintenance, Beechcraft repairs and Piper work. With a full staff of A&P mechanics we are always available to do your aircraft repair and with IA's on staff, we can do annual inspections pretty quickly as well. And if youâ€™re looking for an airplane mechanic to do maintenance for Stinsons, Mooneys and many tail-wheel planes, weâ€™ve had experience with that too.
Our specialty is fixed-wing, piston-powered aircraft maintenance. We're also experienced in many modifications, including Horton STOL kits, tip-tank installations and Great Lakes windshields. Weâ€™re here to serve all your GA repair needs! Give us a call and find out how weâ€™ve been building our reputation one satisfied customer at a time.
Want to rent an airplane? We do that now too! Or check out our flight club!
Visit us at Blake Field Delta Airport
Self-Serve fuel available 24/7-Current fuel prices published on AirNav.com
Airport ID is KAJZ, CTAF on 122.8 mhz, AWOS on 134.0 mhz, or 874-3251
Delta County is home to the communities of Cedaredge, Crawford, Delta, Hotchkiss, Orchard City and Paonia.
For information about the County you can visit: Delta County
- Cross-Country Skiing
- Farm Dinners
- Mountain Biking
- OHV Riding
- Orchard Tours
- Scenic Drives
- Wilderness Camping
- Wildlife Viewing
- Wine Tasting
- Grand Mesa – one of the world's largest flat-topped mountains, lakes, fishing, camping, hiking trail, snowmobiling and cross country skiing
- Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park North Rim – boasting 2,000-foot sheer walls, celebrated it's 10 year anniversary as a National Park in 2009
- Gunnison Gorge National Conservation Area – Wilderness hiking, whitewater and flat water boating, Gold Medal fishing, 20 mile singletrack Sidewinder Trail, and OHV riding areas
- Dominguez-Escalante National Conservation Area – Wilderness boating, vehicle touring through scenic Escalante Canyon, petroglyphs, historic sites, Tabeguache Trail
- Gunnison River – one of the premiere fly fishing destinations; Gold Medal waters
- Ute Council Tree – the 200-year old meeting place of the Ute tribes
- Wineries – Delta County is home to 18 wineries and tasting rooms
- West Elk Loop Scenic Byway – 205-mile loop that begins in Hotchkiss
- Grand Mesa National Scenic & Historic Byway – 63 mile route, originating in Cedaredge
- Creamery Arts Center - a community run art center with exhibits, demonstrations, classes and more. Be sure you visit the restrooms when you stop by. They are works of art too! Hotchkiss
- Bill Heddles Recreation Center / Confluence Park in Delta
- West Elk Wilderness Area - wonderful recreation opportunities. Multiple use trails.
- Sidewinder Trail - in the Gunnison Gorge NCA, this is a muliplte use trail that is currently 20 miles long running one way.